Recent Comments
Popular Posts
Link Exchange List

Seeking Things Above


If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. (Col 3:1)

Recent Articles

2008-03-16

Prowling like a lion

Lion and Prey
This is not a pretty picture. A helpless animal caught in the jaws of a ruthless lion. I thought about showing a YouTube video of a lion kill to illustrate my point in this post. However, the videos were too brutal.

God warns us that the devil is prowling around like a lion looking for someone to devour (1 Peter 5:8). He's not looking to hurt, to wound or to make your life uncomfortable. He's looking to tear you from limb to limb and devour you.

Have you had a time in your life where you felt like you were being devoured? Maybe you feel like that now? How do we protect ourselves from the lion's jaws or free ourselves if he has already pounced and has his jaws on our throat?

Humble yourself, so that God may exalt you at the proper time (1 Peter 5:6). Pride is a favorite weapon of the devil. Satan fell for this himself and it was the temptation he used first against Adam and Eve - "God knows when you eat of the fruit you will be just like him (Genesis 3:5)."

Cast all of your worries on God because he cares for you (1 Peter 5:7). Worry can destroy us. It can take all of your joy and often turn into a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Be sober-minded and watchful (1 Peter 5:8). This verses goes along with Ephesians 6:10-18. If we are sober-minded and watchful we will wear the armor of God. We have to be aware that Satan is a lion that does want to devour us and we have to protect ourselves with God's truth, righteousness, gospel of peace, faith, salvation, Word of God and prayer.

But what if I am in the jaws of the lion right now? What do I do? How can I survive?

I've been there. When I was 12 my best friend drowned while we were all at the pool together. I saw his lifeless body at the bottom of the pool. I felt like I was being ripped limb from limb, devoured alive.

After our fourth child. My wife suffered through postpartum. I saw her enter dark places that people should never have to enter. Satan used this time to attack relentlessly. He did his best to devour her, me and our entire family.

So what do you do in times like this? How do you survive? If you're in the jaws right now, I don't have any magic words of wisdom for you. If you don't know Jesus I can tell you that if you seek him, he will answer and he will deliver you. If you already know Jesus, I can tell you to stand strong and believe, he will deliver you. I know he will because he promises to do so and because he delivered me.

1 Peter 5:10 (ESV) 10 And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. Be honest but be gracious to others. My kids may read this post.

This blog is wearing Sederhana, a free XML Blogger Template adopted from Oh My Grid - WP theme by Thomas Arie
Converted to Blogger by Gre Distributed by Blogger Blog Templates of the Fractal Blog Network [Template-Godown]