Recent Comments
Popular Posts
Link Exchange List

Seeking Things Above


If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. (Col 3:1)

Recent Articles

2008-04-30

When opportunity knocks

A few years ago I was at a gas station filling up when a young man nervously approached me. He asked if he could give me a Jehovah's Witness pamphlet. I politely said no thank you and he quickly got back in his car and left. My first thought was, "Wow, that kid was really nervous about talking to me." My next thought was, "Wow, I wonder if I should have talked to him? Maybe God sent him to me."

I'll never know.

I'm sure you have similar times in your life where after the moment is lost you think, "I should have said this or done that." Many times, like in my experience, we recognize it too late. So how do you take advantage of these opportunities before they're lost?


In the corporate world I teach people that there are three principles to opportunities. I think these same principles can apply to opportunities for sharing your faith.

  1. You must prepare for opportunities
  2. You must recognize opportunities
  3. You must act on opportunities

Prepare: Write down your own testimony. Memorize verses that that have impacted your life. Pray for God to make you aware of opportunities throughout the day to show Christ's love to others through your actions and your words.

Recognize: The best way to recognize an opportunity is to always be looking for one. Purposefully look for opportunities to impact others throughout the day.

Act: Take action on the opportunities God provides. Don't put off an opportunity you recognize today until tomorrow.

Colossians 4:6 (ESV)
6 Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person.

1 Peter 3:15 (ESV)
15 but in your hearts regard Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you;

What are you doing to be ready the next time opportunity knocks?

6 comments:

Mandy said...

I read about a lady that prays God will use her to minister to others before as she is out and about. As she shops or does whatever, she looks at people's faces and speaks to anyone she feels led to. Many times, those people open up and share that something really is going on and she will pray with them right there. She has some wonderful stories of how God has used her in this way and knows this is the gift God has given her.

I know I am guilty of wanting to get in and get out while I am running my errands. I hardly know there is anyone else in the store with me.

Hearing about this lady has shown me to really look at those around me and pray for opportunities to speak to others.

Anonymous said...

What if God DID send that man to you...but not for you to help him, but for that man to show you the error of your ways? ha!

Anonymous said...

For your CULT files--

The following will provide THE BEST and MOST ACCURATE info about Jehovah's Witnesses, their beliefs, and how they actually practice such day to day.

SUMMARIES OF 1100 JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES LAWSUITS & COURT CASES

The following website summarizes over 600 U.S. court cases and lawsuits affecting children of Jehovah's Witness Parents, including 375 cases where the JW Parents refused to consent to life-saving blood transfusions for their dying children:

DIVORCE, BLOOD TRANSFUSIONS, AND OTHER LEGAL ISSUES AFFECTING CHILDREN OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES

http://jwdivorces.bravehost.com


The following website summarizes over 500 lawsuits filed by Jehovah's Witnesses against their Employers, incidents involving problem JW Employees, and other secret JW "history" court cases:

EMPLOYMENT ISSUES UNIQUE TO JEHOVAH'S WITNESS EMPLOYEES

http://jwemployees.bravehost.com

Tony said...

Ron - Thanks for stopping by. I have plenty of errors to be pointed out. Fortunately Jesus took care of those for me on the cross.

Anonymous - Thanks to you as well for the information. I did not mean to start a post on JW. However, I understand the danger of cults because they can lead so many astray. The Watchtower is dangerous. Those in JW are lost and need our prayers, witness and love we can share through Christ whenever we get a chance. They're living under a bondage that only Jesus can break.

John 8:32 (ESV)
32 and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Anonymous said...

Amen to that! I have plenty of errors myself, and God reminds me of them through my Sunday school teachers lessons each Sunday morning. ;)

Tony said...

Ah...that Ron. Thanks for the support. I got the bug to change the site format again (this one takes too long to load). Come by tomorrow to check it out. I also have a new idea for an article perculating in my head so I may have a new post as well - after all a blog is for blogging.

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. Be honest but be gracious to others. My kids may read this post.

This blog is wearing Sederhana, a free XML Blogger Template adopted from Oh My Grid - WP theme by Thomas Arie
Converted to Blogger by Gre Distributed by Blogger Blog Templates of the Fractal Blog Network [Template-Godown]