At least for the time being, I am going to dedicate Thursdays to a post on a particular bible passage. One of my goals will be to help improve my own discipline of reading my bible and then meditating on what God is telling me. If I can do this daily, I should have something worth sharing at least once a week.
This is not a meme, in that I'm not asking anyone to post their own Scripture Thursday (although anyone is welcome to it). This is just a devotional post with the benefit of allowing you to promote your link. Leave your name and link if you enjoy what you read here. Please post a comment as well and share your thoughts. Commenters are more likely to have others check out their site.
What better scripture to start off Scripture Thursdays than Psalm 1:2.
Psalms 1:2 (ESV) 2 but his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night.There are two sides to this verse and it is easy to miss one or both sides.
1. You can read God's Word everyday, memorize scripture, and meditate on it. However, does it "delight" you? Or is this a discipline that is a burden?
2. You can delight in God's Word but fail to meditate on it day and night. Life can get too busy and even though you delight in God's Word you don't have time for it.
I usually fall into the second camp. I delight in reading and studying the bible but I often neglect it for life's other "must do's".
- I miss in the morning because I had to leave the house by 5:30am.
- I fail to stop and pray during the day because I drown myself in email and meetings from the time I walk into the office until I leave.
- I don't spend time in the evening in God's Word because time is already short with my family and after the kids are in bed I'm too tired.
None of these are good excuses.
Father, thank you for "delighting" my heart with your Word when I do spend the time in it. Forgive me for not giving you the time that I should. All 24 hours are yours to give and take away. Help me to remember to start my time each day with you.
2. Jena Isle
|3. Christina W.|