Recent Comments
Popular Posts
Link Exchange List

Seeking Things Above


If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. (Col 3:1)

Recent Articles

2008-06-26

Scripture Thursday - Joyful Meditation

I have seen blog posts dedicated to Wordless Wednesday. I think this is a type of meme but then I'm not 100% sure I understand what a meme is all about. In any case, similar to Wordless Wednesdays, welcome to Scripture Thursday.

At least for the time being, I am going to dedicate Thursdays to a post on a particular bible passage. One of my goals will be to help improve my own discipline of reading my bible and then meditating on what God is telling me. If I can do this daily, I should have something worth sharing at least once a week.

This is not a meme, in that I'm not asking anyone to post their own Scripture Thursday (although anyone is welcome to it).  This is just a devotional post with the benefit of allowing you to promote your link.  Leave your name and link if you enjoy what you read here. Please post a comment as well and share your thoughts. Commenters are more likely to have others check out their site.

What better scripture to start off Scripture Thursdays than Psalm 1:2.

Psalms 1:2 (ESV) 2 but his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night.
There are two sides to this verse and it is easy to miss one or both sides.

1. You can read God's Word everyday, memorize scripture, and meditate on it. However, does it "delight" you? Or is this a discipline that is a burden?

2. You can delight in God's Word but fail to meditate on it day and night. Life can get too busy and even though you delight in God's Word you don't have time for it.

I usually fall into the second camp. I delight in reading and studying the bible but I often neglect it for life's other "must do's".

  • I miss in the morning because I had to leave the house by 5:30am.
  • I fail to stop and pray during the day because I drown myself in email and meetings from the time I walk into the office until I leave.
  • I don't spend time in the evening in God's Word because time is already short with my family and after the kids are in bed I'm too tired.

None of these are good excuses.

Father, thank you for "delighting" my heart with your Word when I do spend the time in it. Forgive me for not giving you the time that I should. All 24 hours are yours to give and take away. Help me to remember to start my time each day with you.
Amen.


Scripture Thursday Participants
1. Mandy
2. Jena Isle
3. Christina W.
4. GPARTHA
5. BunGirl
6. carol

Learn more about Scripture Thursday here.

Powered by... Mister Linky's Magical Widgets.

7 comments:

Jena Isle said...

A fact of life that we often don't find time for God. We are so busy with mundane affairs that we neglect what we should consider as the first priority. Great post. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks you for also supporting my campaign against violence on TV.

God Bless.

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking of how spiritual life seems to be an awareness that seeps downward into our daily life - instead of permeating it entirely to keep it all together.

durano lawayan a.k.a. brad spit said...

Hi Tony,

A short Psalm but with several angles to it. It's quite intriguing, and worth thinking about.

A very nice , short, concise and complete explanation. Thanks for sharing and have a nice weekend. :-) --Durano, done!

Karen and Gerard said...

I think these Meme things are just something to use as fillers when you can't think of anything to blog about--just my opinion.

BunGirl said...

I am sooo in group #2 with you Tony. I let worldly things take up too much of my time, even though I know how important it is to make time for scripture.

Anonymous said...

This is a great post. I am looking forward to seeing what God gives you for next Thursday.

Tony said...

Thanks to everyone for sharing on this post.

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. Be honest but be gracious to others. My kids may read this post.

This blog is wearing Sederhana, a free XML Blogger Template adopted from Oh My Grid - WP theme by Thomas Arie
Converted to Blogger by Gre Distributed by Blogger Blog Templates of the Fractal Blog Network [Template-Godown]