Recent Comments
Popular Posts
Link Exchange List

Seeking Things Above


If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. (Col 3:1)

Recent Articles

2008-06-08

Is it a sin to worship on Sunday instead of Saturday


I have posted a couple of times about worship on Sunday. It can be a hot topic among Christians.

Some Christians believe that the Sabbath is Saturday and that as one of the ten commandments, God has commanded that Saturday be our day of worship. Any other day is a compromise on God's commandmants and thus a sin.

Other Christians hold that the church moved the Sabbath day from Saturday to Sunday to recognize the day of Christ's resurrection as our day of worship.

Still some Christians don't hold to any particular day at all and many may not even feel that any day is required.

Personally, I fall into the Sunday camp. John Piper gives a great sermon explaining this point of view. I believe God still expects us to take a day of rest but that this rest now illustrates the rest achieved from Jesus' resurrection as opposed to the rest from creation. Pastor Piper cites John 5:17 as showing that God was no longer in the rest he declared after salvation but has started the work of redemption. With the death and resurrection of Jesus we have now entered and begun (but not completed) our final rest (Hebrews 4:9-10).

On my previous two posts I had a great contributer that takes the opposite view. Banner Kidd believes that God still holds the Sabbath as Saturday and the church has changed this law for their own purposes or conveniences.

See his comments to my posts "Saturday, Sunday, or any day" and "Has grace replaced the ten commandments".

You may agree with one of these views or you may have a completely different opinion. That's the point of this discussion post.

Remember, this is a discussion post and all opinions are welcome. However, I will use my moderators prerogative to delete any comments I deem as hateful or spam.

Romans 14:10 (ESV)
10 Why do you pass judgment on your brother? Or you, why do you despise your brother? For we will all stand before the judgment seat of God;

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I suspect a timeless God is less concerned with the date of worship than that we worship Him in Spirit and in truth.

I love Piper also!

Tony said...

I agree - he calls us to worship in Spirit and in truth and this worship is daily.
Romans 12:1 (ESV)
1 I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship.

I do believe however that we are called to set aside one day a week to rest from our busy lives and give that day to God. I tend to agree that God is not particular about the day but we're encouraged to meet together (heb 10:25) and with most churches that will be Saturday or Sunday.

Thanks for joining in.

sdalee said...

Good discussion.

For more lively bible AND sabbath discussion ,join me at

http://www.adventistonline.com

or

http://www.biblicalperspectives.com/endtimeissues/et_186.htm

See you there..God be with you…

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. Be honest but be gracious to others. My kids may read this post.

This blog is wearing Sederhana, a free XML Blogger Template adopted from Oh My Grid - WP theme by Thomas Arie
Converted to Blogger by Gre Distributed by Blogger Blog Templates of the Fractal Blog Network [Template-Godown]