Recent Comments
Popular Posts
Link Exchange List

Seeking Things Above


If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. (Col 3:1)

Recent Articles

2008-08-04

The Days of Our Lives

Ecclesiastes 3:1-2 (ESV)
1 For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven: 2 a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted;
Our days are slipping by like sand through an hourglass.  There's nothing we can do about it.  Each day may be our last.  Each day is for sure, one day closer to our last.

How do you think about death or do you not think about it at all?  It's probably not healthy to dwell on it.  After all, we still have our life to live with each day that God gives us.  However, I'm not so sure it is wise to ignore it until you come face to face with it - either for yourself or a loved one.

My dad worked as a hospice chaplain after he retired from the Army.  He spent many years ministering to people and their families as they faced death.  Shortly before he died, he wrote a book, Lessons from the Shadows of Death. This book describes the lessons he learned from the patients and the families he served.  As he was finishing his book, he was diagnosed with leukemia.  Within two years, he passed away under hospice care himself.

My parents tried to market and sell the book before my dad died.  I'm not sure if they ever sold any copies.  They never had any intentions of making much money on the proceeds.  My dad's real desire was to share the lessons he learned with the rest of us, as we will all walk through the shadow of death at some point.

So, as with his other book, Blind Faith, I am posting Lessons from the Shadows of Death, online.  I hope to be posting one or two stories a week.  Please stop by and take a look.  I hope these stories touch your heart as you read how people, just like you and me, walk through the shadows of death.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tony, Your dad's words share the wisdom of a heart both wise in years and in the Lord. I hope our Lord will use them to be a comfort and a challenge to many.

Like father, like son.

Tony said...

Thank you, Carol. I only hope I have my dad's compassion as I meet people in need in my life.

Tony

Larry Darnell said...

Tony,

Thanks for sharing those books online. It is an important message you outline today. Kids all over die every day but they think they have forever...today might be their forever. Reminds of a song from Tim McGraw (not the most spiritual musician) that encourages to live like we were dying because that is so true.

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. Be honest but be gracious to others. My kids may read this post.

This blog is wearing Sederhana, a free XML Blogger Template adopted from Oh My Grid - WP theme by Thomas Arie
Converted to Blogger by Gre Distributed by Blogger Blog Templates of the Fractal Blog Network [Template-Godown]